Best Beginner and Intermediate Sheet Music: A Resource List
As a flute instructor, parent, band director, or student, it can be challenging to decide which sheet music and technique books to focus on. This list is the resource I share with my students. It is a compilation of the best beginner and intermediate flute music that I use in my private studio on a regular basis.
If you are just getting started I recommend the Elementary Method for Flute by Rubank. The book will walk you through your first 6-months of on the flute. It introduces notes and rhythms one at a time and includes easy duets you can play with your teacher or another student. There is also a fingering chart included.
- Rubank Elementary Method for Flute | Buy on Amazon
Duets are a great way to build ensemble skills and have fun. These are three progressive recommendations. The Belwin flute duets are extremely easy and ideal for any beginner just starting out. The Voxman duets offer easy to intermediate repertoire for students who have outgrown the Belwin duets.
- Belwin Master Flute Duets Easy Volume 1 | Buy on Amazon
- Selected Duets for Flute Volume 1 H. Voxman | Buy on Amazon
- Selected Duets for Flute Volume 2 H. Voxman | Buy on Amazon
Etudes are a good way to work on scale technique in a melodic fashion. The Melodious and Progressive studies takes you through each key to help you learn technical combinations in melodic passages.
- The Melodious and Progressive Studies for Flute, Book 1 by Robert Cavally | Buy on Amazon
Scales and Technique Books
This book is very easy and approachable. I recommend this as a students first scale book.
- Pars Scales for Flute or Piccolo | Buy on Amazon
The Trevor Wye books are excellent for all levels. Each one covers a different topic. The book below has all 6 books combined and is recommended for any serious student.
- Trevor Wye Practice Book for the Flute Books 1-6 | Buy on Amazon
The Art of Chunking is recommended for intermediate students. There are some excellent warm-ups in the beginning with harmonics. The rest of the book provides common scale and arpeggio exercises, plus a few intermediate to advanced baroque solo pieces in the back.
- Advanced Flute Studies: The Art of Chunking by George and Louke | Buy on Amazon
Recommended for intermediate to advanced players, these common and standard daily exercise are used by students and professionals alike. They will help students master difficult fingering combinations and keep scale patterns under their fingers.
- 7 Daily Exercises for Flute, M.A. Reichert | Buy on Amazon
There is a number of solo repertoire available, but for intermediate students just starting out, this concert and contest collection offers a number of solo pieces in one volume. It comes with a digital music download that offers recorded tracks of both parts and just the piano. This book is often used for All State competitions as well.
- Concert and Contest Collection for Flute H. Voxman | Buy on Amazon